Jeep Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationNashville
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

Posted Image

This is a simple write-up on how I installed my Engo E10000 winch.
Tool required:

1. Wenches and sockets - imperial 9/16”, 5/8”, ¾” and metric 10mm, 12mm (battery terminals).
2. Wire ties and cutter.
3. Pliers.
4. Philips head screwdriver.

Who is Engo USA – from their about page…

“ With over 50 years experience, ENGO was spawned by innovators. Our innovativeness in designing, producing, and patenting unique winch solutions for the US Military, OEM, other winch manufacturers, 4X4 markets and other markets ensure we strive to provide you with the best innovation, quality, value and service in the industry. Offering a highly flexible business model, we are an open minded manufacturer, allowing ENGO to provide a broad range of products and services.

Engo’s president, prior to starting ENGO, served as a Director and Chief Operating Officer of Mile Marker winches as his father is the founder. “

Why I chose Engo to replace my broken five year old Gen 1 Smittybilt XRC8.

First the COST, $324 for my E10000 – steel cabled winch shipped to the door. Both the E9000 and E10000 come in synthetic rope for an additional $150. Second was the FOUR WHEEL magazines’ “Massive Multi-Winch Shootout”, which featured eight winches put through ten grueling tests. Engo was one of two winches that made it through all ten tests without braking receiving the Best Value. Even the prized Warn 9.5xp required parts to be replaced to complete the testing.

Packaging:
Although FOUR WHEEL magazine gave Engo a low score for packaging I found it to be adequate to protect the winch during shipping. The thick foam protected it after dropping it from knee height, at 89lbs it slipped from my hands. Luckily my winch was not damaged. This winch came with everything you need accept the winch plate. To my surprise, Engo included a wireless remote.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Installing:

1. Besides the tools mentioned above you need to a winch plate. Most of the new bumpers are available with winch plates built in but I opted for the Harbor Freight winch plate I installed for my XRC 8. Unfortunately they do not make it any more. I did see the same style in the latest Quadratec catalog for $69.

Posted Image

2. Before placing the winch on the winch plate you need to connect the solenoid wires. Engo’s solenoid box it well built and appears to be water resistant. I compared the power leads to the old XRC 8 leads and found that the Engo leads are about 4” longer which helped when routing the cables.

Posted Image

3. Install the solenoid box on top of the winch rails. Ensure you put lock-tight on the Philips head screws. Note: the screw will not go all the way in and simple snug tight against the back rail.

Posted Image

4. Connect the ground wires to the bolt on the bottom of the motor.

Posted Image
Posted Image

5. Next connect the short red, black and yellow leads from the solenoid to the motor using the 9/16” wrench. Be careful, the instructions that came with the winch did not match the terminally on the motor. Luckily Engo color coded the terminal post.

Posted Image
Posted Image

6. Install the fairlead by inserting the two ¾” bolts add the lock washers and nuts the torqueing them to 35 Ft lbs. There are to bolt holes on top for mounting lights.

Posted Image

7. Insert the square nuts into the four slots under the winch. Place the winch on the winch plate and align the holes. From the bottom of the winch plate insert the 5/8” bolts and torque them to 35 Ft lbs.

Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been promoted to an article
Rick "Frogman" Froggatt
De Oppresso Liber!
Posted Image
JKU Greystone pearl
(see my build page for mods)

#2 rfrogman

rfrogman

Jeep Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationNashville
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

8. Route the positive and negative leads from the winch to the battery. (Forgive the rats nest. Between the lights, radios, and siren I ran a lot of wires)

Posted Image

9. Place winch in spool and pull the cable through the fairlead. Attach the hook and you are ready to test.

Posted Image

Engo’s winch controller is very basic and easy to use. Simply plug it in and press IN or OUT. The nice thing is it fits in my Smittybilt molle pouch on the back of the driver’s seat.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Wireless controller:

Posted Image

Issues:

1. The Engo logo raised decal started to come off the top of the solenoid box. I removed it.
2. The hook was too small to fit around my stinger bar. I replaced it with the hook I had from the broken XRC 8.

Posted Image

3. My Daystar cable dampener would not fit in the new Engo fairlead.

Posted Image

Specification:

Part #77-10000 Model E10000
Performance 12VDC
Single line rated pull 10000lb(4536kg)
Motor 5.6hp/4.2kw,Series Wound
Control Remote switch,12ft(3.7m)lead
Gear train 3 Stage Planetary
Gear reduction ratio 265.2:1
Clutch Sliding Ring Gear
Braking Action Automatic In-The-Drum
Drum size Drum size Diameter2.5"(63.5mm) Length 8.8"(224mm)
Cable 94ft of 21/64" diameter(28m of 9.2mm diameter)
Fairlead 4-Way Roller Fairlead
Remote Control Included
Battery Recommended:650CCA minimum for winching
Battery Leads 2 gauge,72"(1.83m)
Weight N.W.:38kg G.W.:40kg
Overall dimensions (LxWxH)21.3"x6.3"x8.6"(552x160x218mm)
Mounting Bolt Pattern 10.00±0.015"x4.50±0.010"(254x114.3mm)

CONCLUSION:

I highly recommend this winch. During initial test (spooling out and spooling in) I noticed this winch is faster than my old one. Either steel cable or synthetic line is very economical at Engo’s price point.
Rick "Frogman" Froggatt
De Oppresso Liber!
Posted Image
JKU Greystone pearl

#3 JKChad

JKChad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationNashville

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

Awesome write up! This will be the winch I purchase. I've been watching the engo winches for a while now. 10k with synthetic rope will be just right!
2008 JEEP GREEN Unlimited X
Suspension: Teraflex: 3"+ Lift - Frt lower flex arms - Frt/Rear monster forged Trackbars - Woods SS relocation bracket
Wheels/Tires: 17" Black Rubicon Moabs - 35" Goodyear MTRK's - Spider trax 1.5" spacers
Bumpers: Rough Country stubby frt bumper mod - Smittybilt XRC rear bumper/Tire carrier W/Rigid Dually reverse lights
Drivetrain: Coast 1310 front driveshaft
OBA system: 2 Viair 350c compressors - 2 gallon tank - Woods/Dominion tank mount
Exterior: AEV Hood - Bestop Trektop NX - 18% tint
Electronics: Cobra 29 LX LE - cooltech gate mount - 3' firestix II - AEV procal
Interior: Removed carpet - weather-tech floor liners - Misch center consol and door panel arm rest pad.
Factory options: Rear D44 with e-locker - Front electronic swaybar disconnect.

#4 Jasen

Jasen

Donkey Puncher

• Members

• 1,369 posts
  • LocationHermitage
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:17 AM

Awesome write up! This will be the winch I purchase. I've been watching the engo winches for a while now. 10k with synthetic rope will be just right!

Exactly what I was going to say.

#5 Midtnsahara

Midtnsahara

Jeep Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationLebanon Tn

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:15 AM

Umm well the brake is in the drum. That means the drum gets hot. Wouldn't that be a problem if you use synthetic line?
2001 Wrangler Sahara factory dana 44 3.73 gears 2in BB 1.25 Body lift 33s discos and otherwise stock for now.

#6 MikeJeep

MikeJeep

Trail Spotter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:44 AM

First the COST, $324 for my E10000 – steel cabled winch shipped to the door

Now I have to find another bumper and get one of these. :)

#7 rfrogman

rfrogman

Jeep Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationNashville
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

Rick "Frogman" Froggatt
De Oppresso Liber!
Posted Image
JKU Greystone pearl

#8 Midtnsahara

Midtnsahara

Jeep Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationLebanon Tn

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:56 AM

I am not an expert or even very knowledgable in that area. But a great writeup.

And depending how my current winch works out I may look at an engo also. Could be the next warn.

Questions:

Hows the line speed? I had a milemarker that was slow as hell. The guy who owns/runs engo is the son of the founder and former commander in cheif of milemarker. So it made me wonder.

You said something about the hook being terrible?

And also why did yours come with a wireless? I can't find that anywhere.

Oh and btw they make these nifty things called Power distribution blocks. They are used alot in car audio to run multiple amplifiers. But you could mount one or 2 under hood and make everything a whole lot cleaner for not much $$$
2001 Wrangler Sahara factory dana 44 3.73 gears 2in BB 1.25 Body lift 33s discos and otherwise stock for now.

#9 rfrogman

rfrogman

Jeep Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationNashville
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

Rick "Frogman" Froggatt
De Oppresso Liber!
Posted Image
JKU Greystone pearl

#10 rfrogman

rfrogman

Jeep Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationNashville
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

Rick "Frogman" Froggatt
De Oppresso Liber!
Posted Image
JKU Greystone pearl

#11 Midtnsahara

Midtnsahara

Jeep Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationLebanon Tn

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

its terrible. According to them warn makes the best winch cause it has a fancy remote, a good users manual, and nice packaging. WTF And why wasn't smittybilt or rough country invited to the party???

#12 rfrogman

rfrogman

Jeep Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationNashville
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

Rick "Frogman" Froggatt
De Oppresso Liber!
Posted Image
JKU Greystone pearl

#13 rfrogman

rfrogman

Jeep Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationNashville
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

Rick "Frogman" Froggatt
De Oppresso Liber!
Posted Image
JKU Greystone pearl

#14 Obiwan

Obiwan

Mobile Air Supply

• Moderators

• 2,578 posts
  • LocationWalter Hill
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

Here is the link to the FOUR WHEELER magazine article http://www.fourwheel...tout/index.html
Its a good read.

No comment on the winches. Everyone has shipped faulty products. There are several great winches represented. The test "set-up" itself was decent. However, the measurements and conclusions were not. Very flawed analysis and summary.

So, some winches depleted battery sooner than other. That's expected. Those winches that ran longer of course get hotter than the ones that stopped sooner. But this is a problem, and thus less heat = better? wtf? What a nonsense review.

Tan 2011 JK Mojave. See My Garage Page for more details.

#15 MTBryan

MTBryan

Full-Fledged Member

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationFranklin, Tn

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

I would rather spend the $1150 difference on ammo.

Hahahaha! Amen to that!

#16 rfrogman

rfrogman

Jeep Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationNashville
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

Rick "Frogman" Froggatt
De Oppresso Liber!
Posted Image
JKU Greystone pearl

#17 Hammer

Hammer

I ♥ HATERS

• Administrators

• 4,970 posts
  • LocationWilliamson Co.
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:23 PM

Nah, I drew the same conclusions you did Rick. The Engo 10000S is on my short list of items to aquire for the Jeep. :)

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, Brilliant Black

2011 Ford F150 SVT Raptor SuperCrew, Tuxedo Black

2012 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited Rubicon, Crush Orange  [Garage Link] ... Gone but not forgotten

#18 Obiwan

Obiwan

Mobile Air Supply

• Moderators

• 2,578 posts
  • LocationWalter Hill
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

Hmmm I'm starting to think I'm on the JK-forum again.......guess I keep my #### to myself. Glad I f'ng shared.

Sorry you took my comment the wrong way. I'm not flaming you at all. I just think the test they did was flame worthy :)

The fact that the $1500 Warn broke and needed parts to be replaced to finish the test speaks volumes to me. Engo's $324 winch didn't brake. Since I can replace four for the price of one I'll stick with my choice.

Yeah, I thought that was funny. And the bronze colored liquid under water :)

As I said, I don't have anything good or bad to say about the winches. The Engo might be great. Only time will tell.

My comment was purely on their test metrics. Not the winches. :) I thank you for sharing it. I always like to read reviews. (And I'm glad the SuperWinch did well in the test, even if their perception is flawed--"winch got too hot" etc) :)

Cheers!
Frank

Tan 2011 JK Mojave. See My Garage Page for more details.

#19 Midtnsahara

Midtnsahara

Jeep Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationLebanon Tn

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

Well because people want to read between the lines let me clarify.

I was only saying he did a good job on the write up. It gave a great presentation of the winch and prob convinced others including me to consider them for my future winch. It was ment as props not an insult. Didn't mean to come off that way sorry.

#20 zukmancdr

zukmancdr

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationCookeville, TN
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

I can't see the write up. There is just two dots.

Chris.

1999 TJ 5.2 V8, 6" Rough Country long arm lift, 231DHD with SYE. 35 12.50 15 B.F. Goodwrench MT KM2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: write-up