38 replies to this topic

#1 Jeep guy

Jeep guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Locationmount pleasant tn

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

Looking to pick up a winch for my tj sometime in the in the next 6 months or so. I had a 12,000lb mile marker on one of my old tj's but the guy buying said it was a deal breaker so I let it go (big regret) some I'm looking for a budget friendly winch but don't want junk. I've head great things about smittybilt's winches and have seen them make good pulls. So what winch are you running / recommend and are you running steel cable or syn rope?

#2 zukmancdr

zukmancdr

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCookeville, TN
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

Smittybilt 8000 with rope.

Chris.

1999 TJ 5.2 V8, 6" Rough Country long arm lift, 231DHD with SYE. 35 12.50 15 B.F. Goodwrench MT KM2

#3 Thomas

Thomas

Jeep Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationThompsons Station

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

I have a Quadratec 11.5 with a steel cable. Only used it once and it worked fine other than cleaning/winding it back up at my house later. If I had it to do over again I would have bought this

http://www.engousa.c...c-winches?pp=12
Thomas

2010 JKU Rubicon Black

#4 VolsJK

VolsJK

Snowflake

• Local Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,714 posts
  • LocationClarksville
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

If I were to buy another winch right now, it would be a Harbor Freight Badlands 12k steel line. $299 with coupon.

I have an Engo 10k with a warn synthetic line. Used the synth line for the first time this weekend, worked fine but got it bound up (forgot about that until now) so I need to go work on that soon ha. After seeing too many videos of winch line or accessory failure, going to synth went to the top of my priority list.

If you're interested in an Engo, I know of a good sale if you're wanting one. Engo, Rough Country, and Harbor Freight are practically the same exact winch.

Matt

2011 JK Sport a.k.a. Snowflake

#5 Obiwan

Obiwan

Mobile Air Supply

• Moderators

• 2,589 posts
  • LocationWalter Hill
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

I run a Superwinch EPi 9.0 with steel line. Winch is submersible, has a low current draw, spools in fast when not loaded, has brake outside the drum instead of inside. I'm very happy with it. If I were to buy another winch and had the choice, I'd get the exact same one. :)

Tan 2011 JK Mojave. See My Garage Page for more details.

#6 Steelpimpin

Steelpimpin

Trail Spotter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • LocationHermitage, Tn
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

Warn 9.5 TI with Synthetic.

Steel Pimpin   aka:Kevin Woods

2000 TJ Chili Pepper Special Edition #135 of 500
Too many mods to list, Check me out in the Garage!
:boss:

/I        ,[____],

I-----L I __-OIIIIIO-

(O)_)--(O)_)-o-(O)_)

#7 Colegrove03

Colegrove03

Forum Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationHermitage TN
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:25 AM

Warn CTI 9.5 with Viking synthetic rope. When buying a winch it's the one recovery tool I wouldn't go too cheap on. That's just me. It's got to work every time..

#8 Jeep guy

Jeep guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

If I were to buy another winch right now, it would be a Harbor Freight Badlands 12k steel line. $299 with coupon.

I have an Engo 10k with a warn synthetic line. Used the synth line for the first time this weekend, worked fine but got it bound up (forgot about that until now) so I need to go work on that soon ha. After seeing too many videos of winch line or accessory failure, going to synth went to the top of my priority list.

If you're interested in an Engo, I know of a good sale if you're wanting one. Engo, Rough Country, and Harbor Freight are practically the same exact winch.

I didn't know that, thanks for the info so far

#9 DRM

DRM

• Moderators
  • 118 posts
  • LocationSpring Hill, TN
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

I've run a bunch of winches over the years on various vehicles...  My Ramsey's always served me well but were slow.  My 4runner had an XD9000i with synthetic line on it - I've still got the winch to throw on a buggy or whatever else needs one, and it's seen some hard use over the years.  My YJ has a Warn 8000 on it right now, steel cable.  I have like $200 in the winch - it does the job.  I also have an EMGO w/ synthetic line still new in the box on a shelf on the shop that I've had for like 3 years, lol.

Anyway - I'll say synthetic is the way to go.  Pull enough cable and steel is just combersome and a pain.

~DRM~

#10 MuscleHead

MuscleHead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationJackson, TN

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

I personally will only run synthtic rope. Ive seen what happens when a steel cable breaks and will be no where near anyone using one. We have rough country 12k winches and thwy work well. A tad on the slow side compared to high line warn but also a 1/4 the price. As far as brands go most will be similar if they are made overseas. I know if you buy a winch at 4 wheel parts you can buy a warranty for it as well. Have a few buddies who have warrantied a few smittybilt winches. From my experiences on the trail smittybilt seems to fail more often but they are usually more popular due to cost.

2000 XJ fully locked on 36s :rock:

#11 kerad11

kerad11

WAITING FOR SILENCE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts
  • Locationclarksville

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

Smitty xrc8 comp (with rope)

I love how opinated people are about thier cable or rope decision. Great reading.
Kerad = Darek

That's like saying all guys look great in tight tshirts... Just because I look great in them doesn't mean everyone should wear them.

No matter what you clean, you have to get something dirty to do it.

#12 kerad11

kerad11

WAITING FOR SILENCE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts
  • Locationclarksville

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

Most companies dont want to shell out the extra dough that comes with syn line. Thats not the best argument.

One thing i noticed about syn line that most dont mention....it floats. Thats very convienient.

Also, its great to use as a repeling line lol.

Seriously, the only bad things you can say about syn line is it dosnt last forever if not protected from the sun and you dont want to drag it across rocks and stuff.
Kerad = Darek

That's like saying all guys look great in tight tshirts... Just because I look great in them doesn't mean everyone should wear them.

#13 Wrenchman

Wrenchman

Wrench Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts
  • LocationMacon County, Tn

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

I'm with you Mike on most topics and hate to disagree here. I worked in road construction most of my life and saw too many times what can happen when a steel cable parts. It can be horrific.

I am certain that if it were possible to run synthetic lines of 3/4" to 2 or more inches in diameter that equipment operators would jump at the chance. Yes compared to the millions of miles of cable that are pulled every day accidents are rare. Unfortunately if the accident happens to me I no longer consider it a rare event.

Why not just go with the synthetic rope and eliminate the threat? Just my opinion. :)

Bill

#14 kerad11

kerad11

WAITING FOR SILENCE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts
  • Locationclarksville

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

Oh, and dat weight savings...

But, really, they both have thier strong points. Steel is way more uv and chemical resistant. More wear resistant too.

Its all about what you think is best.
Kerad = Darek

#15 Obiwan

Obiwan

Mobile Air Supply

• Moderators

• 2,589 posts
  • LocationWalter Hill
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

Synthetic lines are "somewhat safer" than steel, but they don't make you perfectly safe either! Consider a synth line hooked up to a anchor (hitch receiver, or snatch block on a tree saver), and that anchor fails (hitch breaks or pops out, tree saver slips off or breaks). Now you STILL have that hitch part or the snatch block flying your way! (Remember that gruesome video David posted? Where the hitch receiver came flying and killed two people? It wouldn't have mattered what line he used!)

Please, do not think that because you are using synth line that you are safe! 

(It only prevents the line from flying back should the line fail, not whatever it is attached to. That mass will still come your way.)

Tan 2011 JK Mojave. See My Garage Page for more details.

#16 MuscleHead

MuscleHead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationJackson, TN

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

Don't wanna get in a big debate about Steel -vs- synthetic but a properly maintained steel cable is perfectly safe...

BUT....

How many COMMERCIAL / INDUSTRIAL winches & hoists do you see running synthetic line? These are winches and hoists used everyday, many in life safety/critical/ overhead lifting operations. I have never seen one with synthetic line...

If steel winch cables were sooooo dangerous.. seems like there would be decappitated tow truck drivers all over the place..

Im noy trying to start an argument but this is usually the same thing posted in most debate threads i have read. Its almost always posted by someone who has never personally experienced a steel cable failure. I dont down people for running cable but i sure as fawk wont be anywhere near when load is placed on it.

#17 MuscleHead

MuscleHead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationJackson, TN

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

So you don't ride in elevators? or fly in airplanes? both use steel cables.. (tall ones, not the hydraulic short ones)

MOST accidents are caused by PEOPLE - people failure, improper use, improper maintenance etc... - People are the most dangerous things you will encounter on a trail... That is why I am selective who I wheel with, and most often avoid "big events" .. just too many idiots out in the woods at once....

Yes cables fail.. but its from miss-use and neglect....

and COST is not the reason for companies to use steel cable over synthetic, it is NOT that much more expensive when your dealing with a multi-million dollar maintenance budget... plus if it were safety, I imagine OSHA would be all over it...(I've got many years managing maintenance departments/budgets and a lot of graduate work in Industrial Safety.. so I don't think I am talking out of my ass here- but I have before, so there is always that chance..)

Actually i dont ride in elevators or ride in planes lol. We are talking winch cable not high tensile cable you use for industrial use. You can argue till your blue in the face but it will never make a difference. If a steel winch cable breaks there is a possibilty for damage of some kind to something in that immediate area. You can never change the fact that it will be dangerous IF it breaks.

On a side note i think we have hijacked the the thread enough :lol:

#18 slider_68

slider_68

Trail Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts
  • LocationCookeville TN
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

Smittybuilt XRC8 with steel cable, over the past 18 months is been put to some serious use probably 25+ pulls, with several back to back pulls over rock ledges on the Car Hauler at Pickett that would have eaten a synthetic line. 
2011 JK Sport

#19 Jeep guy

Jeep guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

I like The debate shows the pros and cons of each.

#20 Jeep guy

Jeep guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

Smittybuilt XR8 with steel cable, over the past 18 months is been put to some serious use probably 25+ pulls, with several back to back pulls over rock ledges on the Car Hauler at Pickett that would have eaten a synthetic line.

I've heard great things about them and believe that's the route I'll be going with the added warranty from 4wd.